Is it really true that in most cases 20% of our effort i.e. marketing, sales, delivery, operations and customer service etc. it produces 80% of our results?  Yes it is.  Pareto long ago proved mathematically this to be the case.

Everything you do has redundancy built into it so you need to find ways to allow you to focus on what is important and what needs to be done to move your business forward.  Not easy I know, but crucial nevertheless.  

So how do you do it?

Well there’s no one simple, proven or expected way.  Every small business owner must determine how best to promote, structure, staff and deliver their relevant products or services. But be in no doubt, 80% of your efforts will, largely speaking, be ineffectual so you really do need to figure out which of your efforts i.e. the remaining 20% will deliver the results you seek.

This issue has strong financial implications which you ignore at your peril, as this is not in any way an academic exercise.

Final thoughts:

  • Only invest your time and money in things if you can see it’s likely to produce more financial return than it costs.
  • If you think it makes sense, can you point to and measure where profit will be made?Final thoughts:

So try this, identify all the initiatives or actions you have taken in the past 6-12 months:

  • What has been really successful or has created some form of breakthrough;
  • What hasn’t?
  • Analyse and reflect on what worked and why.
  • What can you change that hasn’t worked?

Next time we will look at how to ask past clients to come back to you.